Thursday, September 29, 2011

I feel like a heel September 29, 2011

Wow, how can it be September 29?  I have NOT finished anything.  If I am to get a pair of sockdown socks done in the month of September, I need to finish by tomorrow.  NOT going to happen.

However, I did finish the heels:


I'm sure I've written this before, but I haven't made a pair of top down socks in more than a year.  I always felt that my heels were sloppy.  I'm not sure why, but they were always loose, the pick up messy, and there were always holes at the gusset corner.  Not here!  I'm so happy with the way these look.  I am no longer intimidated by top down =).

This Sock Down is perfect for me.  The idea is to try new things, new designers, new techniques, and stretch your knitting repertory.  It is happening on the very first project.

Here is what the sock looks like full length:




I should be able to make good progress, now.

Samantha wears a 7.5.  My guidebook (Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks) says that means 9.5 in in sock length.  This recipe says to stop knitting when there are 4.5 in. to go and do the foot chart.  That means some fun knitting math.

9.5 - 4.5 = 5 in   Stop when I have knit 5 in.

The heel measures 1.5 in. 
5-1.5 = 3.5 in  to knit after the heel

The gauge is 12 rows/in.
3.5 x 12 = 42 rows

The gusset will take up 26 of those rows. So after I finish the gusset, I need 42 - 26 = 16 more knitted rows.

I remeasured, and it is almost exact!  If I do the pattern repeat 4 times, I will be ready to switch to the foot pattern.  Easy Peasy!

October Sockdown news:
Of course, not having finished even one of the September challenges has not kept me from looking at October's challenge. 


Technique: Texture other than ribbing or Beaded Knitting or Holiday Socks (single stocking or wearable pair)
Designer: Stephanie Etting (verybusymonkey)

Hmmm.  I checked Stephanie Etting's designs, and they are wonderful, but I really want to make a pair of socks for my husband, the Doc, and they aren't very masculine.  Beaded doesn't seem quite right for him, either. That means "texture other than ribbing."  SKA quite nicely linked a list of patterns that fit that technique, and I ordered a book on Amazon:  



that has at least one of the acceptable patterns.  I just couldn't resist.  I will use yarn from my stash, not sure which one, but something that I think the Doc will actually wear.  I made him a pair of slippers about 2 years ago, and he wears them all the time.

Again, time to get knitting!  I have some gorgeous socks to finish.

C. A. Losi

No comments:

Post a Comment