Monday, September 19, 2011

Moving on Up Monday, September 19, 2011

Saturday, I walked.
Yesterday, I did not walk.
Today, I walked.

Not only did I walk around our block, Saturday, but I walked up and down the 7 flights of stairs at my daughter's, Samantha, college dorm.  We drove to Portland, OR, Saturday, 3 hours each way, to drop her off at Portland State University.  She will be a 2nd semester Freshman, needing about 2 classes to hit Sophomore status.  It rained and drizzled the whole way.  Fall is here.  Her dorm is fabulous.  She is in a double, and it is longer than most dorm rooms so when you first walk in there is a small galley kitchen! on your left with the bathroom on the right.  Then, room for 2 single dressers, 2 desks, 1 closet (not enough for Samantha), and 2 single beds.  Really nice as you can see by the photos.





There are only 2 elevators for the whole dorm though, so it took a while to move her in.  We brought a dolly to help with all of her stuff.  Had to wait in line quite a while, but, the RA's (resident advisors) had it all under control.  It went very smoothly.

Here is the view from her room:



After she moved in her stuff, we ate lunch, hit the nearest grocery store to stock up on a few things for her room, then I drove the 3 hours back home.

Good Luck, Samantha!  Study hard.

Sunday morning in the paper there was the best comic.  My husband, the Doc, is a radiologist.  The comic  reminded me of a funny story from his training.  Radiologists don't go straight from med school to a Radiology program, they do a "transitional year" in what ever they want.  Doc did his in Internal Medicine, which was the Internship from Hell, in my opinion.  On an average, he worked about 100 hr/week.  He regularly did Emergency Room rotations where he was on call every other night.  Back then this meant that he stayed at the hospital, working, EVERY OTHER NIGHT.  It was insane.  Anyway, the story doesn't really have to do with that except that, one night when he was in the ER, a boy came in with intense pain in his knee.  The ER docs ordered X-rays, and while they were waiting for the Orthopedic Surgeon to come down for the consultation, they said, "Hey, Doc.  You're going into Radiology?  What do you make of these X-rays?"  So Doc looked and said, "Well, first you have them upside down."   LOL!  No kidding.  Anyway he diagnosed Osgood-Slaughters, which the Orthopedic Surgeon confirmed a few minutes later.  So here is the comic:

87877480acee012e2f8800163e41dd5b?width=900    

Because of all the driving, though, I barely knitted at all.  I was hoping that Samantha would drive THERE, and I would drive back, but of course, she stayed out all night.  I drove both ways.  It was too gray to really enjoy the route.  I5 takes you past Olympia, and on nice days, you can see the downtown and the capital Dome, etc.  Also, we passed Mount St. Helen's.  I've gone past and seen steam venting from the volcano, before.  Not yesterday. =(  But it was a fun day.

C. A. Losi

1 comment:

  1. HI! I just discovered your blog from the Sharing Our Gifts Ravelry group. Your daughter's dorm is awesome! Our only child, who I homeschooled since 2nd grade, just left for college in August. She's at a small Christian school in Indiana. It's great but her dorm room is very, very, very little! She'd be jealous to see this one! :)

    Bye,
    Lisa
    Life Full of Laughter

    ReplyDelete