Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Farmers Market Goodies Tuesday, September 20, 2011

I walked today.

Often, I park my car at the grocery store, then walk around the Xroads Mall, back to my car, and into the grocery store to do my shopping.  Today, I didn't walk quite that far,  but I walked to the far end of the mall, and stopped at Bed, Bath and Beyond to get a new brownie pan.  On the way back I walked through the XRoads Farmers Market.  It's there only Tuesdays, and features local produce.  I told myself I was just looking, not buying today, but of course I bought.  I wasn't carrying much cash, and the market only takes cash. 

But I did buy 1 gorgeous heirloom tomato:

I ate it for lunch with some hard boiled egg and a balsamic vinaigrette. 

I also bought some organic raspberries:


I made a simple syrup with 2 cups of boiling water and 1 1/2 cup of sugar, cooked until the sugar was completely dissolved.  Then I turned off the heat and added all of the raspberries.  Then I blended them with an immersion blender. I strained the raspberry syrup through a wire strainer.  This took forever!  My strainer is small, so it took about 5 batches.  The syrup was thick, and there were tons of seeds.  The syrup would not go through!  I had to mush it through with a wooded spoon.  Finally I put the bowl of raspberry syrup in the refrigerator for about  2 hours to cool.  Put it in our ice cream maker, and voila:


Honestly, it is to die for.

Why am I talking about everything BUT knitting?  I am working on Samantha's Glass Slipper Socks, and making good progress, but they don't look much different, day to day.

Today, I took my oldest son, D, to the DOL (Department of Licensing) to get a new state ID.  They had at least 8 people working, and the lines went quickly, but it still took about 1 hour.  I got a lot done.  I am really thinking that I will need more yarn. I keep checking ebay.  This yarn is about $25 / skein if I buy it from a yarn shop, even an internet yarn shop.  I just can't knit $75 - $100 socks!  I have seen the brand (Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock) on ebay for $8.99.  If I need more, that would be reasonable.  Just need to find my color.

C. A. Losi

No comments:

Post a Comment