Friday, September 16, 2011

Business Party Friday, September 16, 2011

I walked today.

Last night I went to a party with my husband, Doc, for the Executive Committee of the Hospital where he works.  I wasn't dreading it.  I wasn't looking forward to it.  I hate those kinds of parties, especially if I don't know anyone, which I was sure I didn't.  I have met various people from this committee at other hospital functions, and they seemed nice enough, but KNOW them?  No.  My idea of a great evening is watching Dr. Who and knitting.  Or playing an online computer game with my kids.  But as the Doc is head of his department, we had to go.

I had a great time.  It was held at a house right on Lake Washington, with a view of the lake (of course), Mercer Island, and downtown Seattle.  LOVELY.  It was cool, but not cold.  We ate and talked outside on their deck and patio overlooking their dock while the sun set over the city and the lights came on.  The people were friendly and easy to talk to.  We had a 15 minute discussion of the horrible ND/UM football game with the CEO of the hospital and his wife.  The Doc and I are ND grads, and so is their son.  The most fun coincidence is that their son lived in the Doc's residence hall.  Did I say the food was great?  Salmon and tilapia, seaweed salad, green and wax beans, couscous.  YUM.

I must say it makes me look forward to the Bandage Ball, the big charity auction for the hospital.  I will see many of these people there.  I am looking forward to it.

Back to knitting:

I am using the Watercress Socks for my "sit and knit" project right now.  So the progress is slow, but steady.  I need to get to 38 stitches on each side, 76 for each sock.  I am at 26.

The best part of this pattern, let's face it, right now it's just the toes, is that Lise Brackbill  asked for a different type of increase stitch.  She has a link for the YouTube demonstration on the pattern which I will try to link here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYOYMJBGxrw

I like these increases much more than the ones suggested in Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks.  They are neater, no holes, and much easier to knit into on the next round.

Samantha's Glass Slippers Socks

I have knitted about 5 inches of the legs.  In the real world of socks, I would be just about ready to start the heels, but, Samantha likes knee socks.  LOL, originally she said she wanted them to go over her knees.  I told her no way.  But, I can make them come up to her knees.  After all, these are for her.  Just as I wouldn't sent Hannah socks that I know won't fit, I can't make socks that are too short for Samantha to enjoy wearing.  So, I will knit on.  Here is what they look like right now:





I love them.  This pattern is relatively easy to knit, and gorgeous.  I just wish the yarn was a bit cheaper.  Samantha is worth it.


C. A. Losi

No comments:

Post a Comment