Monday, January 19, 2015

12th Man

Hello:

I am not a total idiot. 

I do not believe in superstition. 

That being said, I can't help but wonder if there is some kind of Superbowl Scarf Curse that is the same as the Boyfriend Sweater Curse.  Let me explain.

I have long thought that I am bad luck for our teams.  In 2001, the Seattle Mariners (our baseball team) tied the record for most games won in a single season.  They won 116 games.  The Chicago Cubs had won the same number back in 1906.  We shared season tickets that year giving us 4 tickets to 10 different games.  The Mariners lost every game I attended.  No kidding.  I stopped going after the 3rd loss.  Doc took the kids instead of me.  They won every game I didn't attend.  Even though you know you can't be the reason the team is losing, this type of coincidence makes you wonder.

I am not a huge sports fan, but, if I can knit or crochet during a game, I am willing to sit through just about anything.  There is a problem, though, if I actually care about the game.  I just get too nervous.  I can't bear to watch.

The Seattle Seahawks played the Green Bay Packers in the NFC (National Football Conference) Championship game yesterday.  I am sure you all know this, but I'm writing it because some of my readers do not live in the USA.  We won in the most exciting, nail-biting finish to a post-season game ever. 

The Seahawks scored one touchdown on a fake field goal attempt.  I didn't see it.  I had my eyes firmly fixed on the scarf I was hooking.  I was afraid to watch.

I am making 2 scarves in Seahawks colors.  I have shown some photos of the Tweed Stitch Scarf I am knitting for my son Himes.
Originally, I had hoped to have the scarf finished for this game, but as I am trying to knit 8 feet, I didn't quite get it done.  This means that it will be worn during the Super Bowl.  It has become a Super Bowl Scarf.

Doc also wants a Seahawks Scarf.  Since there is no way I can knit 2 scarves in time for the Super Bowl, I am hooking the scarf for him.
I am using a chevron pattern so it is not just a boring stripe.  This is what I was working on during yesterday's game.  We were horrible during the first half.  We did not score, and were behind 0 - 16.  I started to wonder if crafting Super Bowl gear BEFORE you knew your team was going to the Super Bowl, was something like knitting a Boyfriend Sweater.  The very fact that I was sure enough that we were headed to the Super Bowl to knit and crochet Seahawk gear was cursing the team.
Not only am I making the 2 scarves, but I am also making a Seahawks Vortex Afghan!  I am a triple threat for the team.

With every interception, or Green Bay score, I kept telling myself to either stop hooking, or go upstairs and stop watching...  But I couldn't.  I had to watch the game, and the only way I could handle the stress of watching the game was to work on something.

It was Moogie who saved the day for the team.  She had been down in Southern California visiting my brother, and flew back yesterday.  I missed watching the last minutes of the game where the score was tied.  I was driving to SeaTac Airport during the overtime where our Quarterback, Russell Wilson, threw a 35 yard touchdown pass that won the game and sent the Seahawks to the Super Bowl.  I was not hooking Doc's or Himes's Super Bowl Scarves. 

Coincidence?

You be the judge.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet on the way to the Super Bowl.




No comments:

Post a Comment