Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Spiders

Hello:

We are starting our mornings with fog.  This is pretty strange for us, but, since it is supposed to be hot, this morning fog is keeping our temperatures really nice.

I spent the day sewing.  I knit 6 rows on my Hidden Hearts socks to bring them to the heel section, then, headed downstairs to our sub-basement, "The Cave" where I have my sewing machine set up.  This is not the perfect place.  I don't mind that there are no windows.  The sub-basement is no deeper than the regular basement, but, since our house is on a very steep hill, this part of the basement is completely in the hill.  Unless we wanted to dig out windows and cut into the foundation, it is completely walled in.  When we bought our house, this room was the only part that wasn't finished.  The Doc had it finished a few years ago as an office/sewing/craft room for me.  But, the sewing desk is too high and too small.  It's my own fault.  I hadn't realized how much space I really needed for sewing.  I used to sew at the dining room table where there is plenty of space for a wide piece.  But, the cave mostly works.  Especially as I was sewing project bags.

I don't know why I am so slow at this, but, when 3 pm happened, I still had the top stitching to do on the two bags I worked on.  I had to stop because I was meeting VanesaPolo for pedicures.  (We missed you, Skeinherder!!)  This is somewhat of an indulgence for me, but I love it.

When I got home, I made dinner for the Doc, and after, I finished the two bags.  I am happy with how they came out.  I think I have mastered this pattern.  Of course, now I am thinking of ways to change it.  I don't have any photos, though, because as we head towards Fall, our days are getting shorter, and there wasn't enough light to take decent photos.  I need to set up a light box.

After I finished, I worked on an afghan square.  There is a new Quidditch Challenge this term in the Harry Potter Knitting Crochet House Cup (HPKCHC).  Normally, the Quidditch games are rather short, like 2 weeks.  This term, the first challenge is called, "Explore the Quidditch Positions."  The challenge will run the 3 months of the Fall Term.  You can choose one of the positions to "explore:"  Beater, Chaser, Keeper or Seeker.  Each position is defined in the challenge by a yardage length.  For instance, if you area exploring Beater, you would craft things 50 yds or more in length.  For every project 50 yds or more that you turn in before the deadline, your house gets 10 points.  You can turn in a maximum of 15 items.

I am doing the Chaser position, by crafting up to six items that are 150 yds or more.  Once you turn something in, you can't change positions.  I had thought of doing Beater, but many of the afghan squares I hook are over 100 yds.  So, I thought I would try making six squares that are 18 in. wide.  My math tells me that I need 82 g of Caron One Pound to be 150 yds.

I am hooking a square and weighing it.  My idea is that I will make a lap-ghan.  I am thinking of donating it to our local high school for their auction.  If I use 4 large squares and twelve 6 in. (or 4 12 in.), it could be about 3' x 4' before the border and any between square rows (using my cool hdc method).  I'm not sure that is a good size.  I think that would be.  I'm thinking of a size that you would want to take to a football game and put over your legs.  Anyway, more on this as it comes together.



Spiders
Fall is spider season. 

In the fall, there are a gazillion spiders all around our house.  Often, there are a gazillion spiders INSIDE our house, in the fall, too. 

They are looking for a good place to lay their egg sacks.  In the mornings, when I walk to my car which I park under the Fuji Cherry Tree, I have to hold something up above my head, and a bit in front of me to break webs. 
Once I didn't do this, and I walked through a web that was strung all of the way across the side yard, and a GIANT spider fell on my shoulder.  EEEEEK!  Horror.  They aren't poisonous, but EEEEEEEEK!

All of the above photos are of different spiders I found around the house this afternoon.  All of them outside, thank goodness.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a cat on my lap making it tough to type.

No comments:

Post a Comment