Monday, September 16, 2013

B-I-N-G-O

Hello:

Life
If you weren't watching football last night, you might not know that we had a huge thunder/lightning storm last night.  I had gone out to pick up pizza, too busy to stop to cook, and when I got home it was directly overhead.  As, I started to get out of the car with the pizza, I saw the flash and heard the CRACK simultaneously.  I pretty much dove back into the car.  A few weeks ago, I posted about how a guy riding a motorcycle on the 5 fwy here was struck by lightning.  I didn't want to get hit.  Of course, we have these super tall trees in our yard, so if lightning did strike in my yard, it would probably hit a tree, not me.  But, then, I thought, I could get hit by a falling branch or something.  Best to just wait a bit.  When I got inside, the Doc and number 1 son were both upstairs.  Why aren't you watching the Seahawks Game?  I asked.  Well, duh!  the game was paused because of the lightning.  When they resumed an hour later, the Seahawks dominated the San Francisco 49ers.  And, the Seahawk fans set a Guinness Book of Records record for noise.  Go Hawks!

I was busy with so many fun things this weekend.  On Saturday night, I went with a neighborhood group to see the musical, Xanadu, at the Village Theatre in Issaquah.  It was really fun.  A bit of name dropping here... I had a friend from high school who was in the original movie.  The movie was horrible.  The Broadway Musical is wonderful.  They took the movie, and redid it but with their tongues firmly in their cheeks.  It is a silly poke at the disco culture of the 1980's, roller skating and all. 

My neighbor friends and I went to dinner first at Fins Bistro which is right next door to the theater.  Fins also has this cool thing where you can order something for intermission before the show, so when you come running for the 15 min. intermission, there is your dessert and coffee waiting at a table.  I had the Steak Salad, and split a banana split at intermission.

What a fun night out.

Stitching
This weekend, I both finished and started projects.  I don't want to just do a rundown of everything I was working on, so I will focus on 2 things.

I finished the fingerless mitts I was making as companions to the Roscoe Village Hat I made for my daughter, Moogie.
The texture pattern for the top part of the hat is the same as the one from the Hermione's Everyday Socks Pattern.  It's a really attractive texture.  I used that for the hand part of my fingerless mitts, and the brim stitch pattern for the thumbs and thumb gussets. 

I started with some 1x1 ribbing, and finished with the same ribbing.  I love how these look.
Part of it is the Malabrigo yarn, of course.  It is tough to have anything knit in such gorgeous yarn be anything but gorgeous.

Anyway, I told Moogie that I am just going to send them out.  I am not going to keep anything for Christmas, they will just get stuff as I finish it.  She will need these when the weather gets cold.
One of the other things I worked on this weekend, and today, was not really stitching, but stitch related. 

I have said that I am a Pride Leader in the Harry Potter Knitting/Crochet House Cup (HPKCHC) for the Gryffindor House.  One of the things I really want to do is encourage all members of my pride, Acid Pops, to turn in at least one project every month.  I have been making stitch markers to send out to people as they complete their first class. 

One of the ways my house, Gryffindor, encourages maximum project turn ins, as well as just general participation, is Gryffindor BINGO.

We have this BINGO card that we can download that has activities and classes in each square.  As you complete things, you can mark it off on your card.  Your name gets put in a hat for every row and column you complete.  People in the house donate prizes which are given out at the end of term.

At first, I was going to make these little cards that said something like "First Class Complete!  Pop On!"  or something equally lame, and send those with 2 stitch markers.  Then, I got the great idea to print out the BINGO cards, and put the stitch markers on as BINGO markers.



They are pretty simple, just the printed out cards glued (rubber cemented) to cardstock that is Gryffindor colors with the Rav Names on top.  Then I sewed (from behind) the stitchmarkers on as the BINGO markers.  About half of the Pride has sent me their addresses.  I need to get on the rest of the group so I can send their cards out, too.

Pop! Pop! Pop! ON!  Acid Pops!

f1bercat
shaping the planet with BINGO




1 comment:

  1. And I LOVE my Bingo card! You can just see it in the pic above, I'm Anne75 :D

    ReplyDelete