Monday, September 9, 2013

I hoped to get to the heel

Hello:

I have reached the part of the sock where time is flying and knitting is standing still.

I am knitting Hidden Hearts by Jeannie Cartmel in SweetGeorgia Tough Love Sock in the Boysenberry colorway.

I have a habit of making my socks just a tiny bit short.  I always get excited as I near the heel (or the toe in top-down socks), and I stop the foot about 1/2 in too short every time.  Ok, not every time, but often. 

These socks say to knit to 2 in. before the heel.  My foot is 10 in long, and since I usually put negative ease into the length of my socks of about 90%, this means if I multiply the 10 in length by 90% (which is .9), I need a sock with a length of 9 inches.  For some reason, stopping at 7 in. never works.  Today, I told myself I would knit to 7.5 in.  When I finished the 3rd repeat of the lace pattern, I was at 7 in.  UGH.  I stopped knitting because I had other things to do, but I am going to make myself knit 6 more rows of the pattern and measure again.

The whole last repeat, I kept stopping and measuring, and the foot never seemed to get longer. 

I need to finish the heels this week to stay on track to finish these this month.

I cut out a bunch of project bags this evening.  I used the Grab Bag pattern from AllPeopleQuilt.  I have made 2 bags from this pattern,


but given them both away.  I plan on keeping at least one of these!  I can't show you the material, though, because they will be used for an exchange on Ravelry.  I wish we were doing another bag exchange with Eastside Stitchers.  We did one last year, and it was really fun.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a too short sock.


No comments:

Post a Comment