Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Princeton Orientation 2

Hello:

I wanted to write just a little bit more about Princeton. 

Here are some photos of Pookie's 3 room Quad (four guys sharing 3 rooms) in 1927 (that's the name of his dorm), Wilson College.

These first two photos are of the center room.  This is usually a shared study/relaxing room.


These two photos are of the shared bedrooms on either side of the common room.

The rooms are pretty spare and simple:  two bunk beds, two small dressers, a small closet.  They are not small, however, especially with the beds stacked.

You might have noticed that the luggage was all in the center, shared room.  We were the first of our rooms to arrive, and I fully expected Pookie to run to the right bedroom and grab it, as it is slightly larger than the left bedroom.  Also, he could have grabbed one of the desks near the window, and one of the bigger shelf units.

Pookie told me that is not how they do it.  They leave all of their stuff, and when they get back from their trip, they decide as a group how to set up the room.  So, if 2 people like to study late, they might decide to room together and leave the two who go to bed early together.  Also, they will try to split up the desks, etc. fairly.  I suggested Rock-Paper-Scissors for the bigger room, and the boys seemed interested in that method.  That is how my kids decide almost everything.

I have to say that I really liked this.  My other kids, Himes and Moogie, had been last to move into their shared dorm rooms in their Freshman years, and the good desk and beds were just taken by the first person to arrive.  I love that there is a culture of cooperation here.

Two of Pookie's roommates showed up before I had to leave, and they were both delightful young men.
I love how awkward they are right now, and hope that disappears as the year progresses.


Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet from Bellevue
Here are the roommates standing in front of their windows


No comments:

Post a Comment