Thursday, May 10, 2012

Sweater Blocking Question!

2012.05.10

I have finished the main knitting of the Red Hot Sweater for Lewk (my friend Tony who is stationed in Afghanistan).  The pattern called for the sleeves to be 22 in. long, but worried that that would not be long enough, I knit them to 24 in.  I soaked the pieces, ok, in Downy because that is what I have, on cold, rinsed., spun and blocked the front, back and both sleeves.  OMG!  the sleeves were like 23 in. and too narrow.  I think I got tighter and tighter with my knitting gauge as I went along.  I was able to block everything to the right size, but had to super stretch it all.


Even so, I am so worried that the sleeves will be too short.  I got them to 25 inches in length by super stretching them on the blocking mat.  I measured my son, L's arms (he is about 6 ft tall) and his were 26 in.  So I sent Tony a message on Facebook asking him how tall he is, because I know that arm length from fingertip to fingertip is usually your height.  Tony is 5'10" . so 2 inches shorter than L, so 25 in. should be ok.  BUT,  What about when the sweater is washed?  Will it just shrink back?  My guess is yes it will.  In which case, I need to add at least 2 more inches to the sleeve length and then somehow,. make the sleeves about 2 inches wider.

My great idea is to knit 2 strips of the same yarn, following the textured blocks pattern,. that would reach from sleeve cuff, down the arm and down the body to the waist.  I really think this would work.  It is this or reknit both sleeves...

My little cat, Beena, absolutely claimed the sweater from the minute I put it on the floor to block.
She bit me when I was putting the pins in, and chased our big cat, Muffin, away if Muffin dared to get near the sweater.

So, if anyone has advice for me, about reknitting the sleeves, knitting 2 strips, or just leaving them aggressively blocked, I would greatly appreciate it.  I want this sweater to fit.  Tony is a great guy.  I have been knitting this sweater since January.  I don't want to reknit the sleeves, but I can.

Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet one too small sweater at a time

2012.05.10






No comments:

Post a Comment