Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Summer Mystery Shawlette - Part 2 5.31.11

It is the Tuesday after Memorial Day.  The weekend was full of knitting, laundry, and Aion.  Ok, 2 out of 3 were fun.

I cranked like crazy on my Knit a long Summer Mystery Shawlette Part 2 from WendyKnits and caught up!  Maybe I'm not such a slow knitter after all...

This is completed Part 1:






And here completed through Part 2:



Here is a close up of the pattern so far:





I'm not sure how much of it you can see.  But I felt it was worth a try.

What have I learned so far:
This lace pattern is really easy. It involves

YO (yarn overs) an increase that leaves a hole
K2Tog (knit 2 together) which is a right leaning decrease
SSK (slip as to knit 2 times, pass back to the left needle, then insert the right needle into the back and knit)  A left leaning decrease
Sl1, K2tog, PSSO (Slip one as to purl, knit 2 tog, pass the slipped stitch over the knit2tog )  this is a way to knit 3 stitches together having no "leaning, " but a centered stitch.

These are all easy stitches, yet I am able to forget which one I'm doing and do the wrong one (with the leaning stitches), YO the wrong way!  or completely forget to YO, or even forget to Pass over the slipped stitch.

I hope to never look too closely at the part 1 of this shawlette.  I did better at part 2.  I am getting better at fixing my mistakes, though.  My most common problem is forgetting to YO or YO the wrong direction.  If I forgot, I just pick up the yard from below and put it on the needle as I'm purling back (all the even rows are purled). 

I have found what I'm sure is an error in the pattern for Part 2.  I checked on Wendy's group for this shawl on Ravelry, but didn't see anyone else commenting on it.  In Row 1, the first section is the decrease section.  It ends with 10 stitches on the needle.  This section is repeated after the middle stitch of the shawl.  But, Row 2 needs 11 stitches for the first decrease section.  I wasn't sure what to do.  The problem is that the last "stitch" in the section is a Sl1,K2tog,Psso which needs 3 stitches, but there were only 2 stitches left in that section.  This is also the last "stitch" in the 12 stitch repeating part of the pattern, so I figured that I needed somehow to do this, and not just a K2Tog, which is possible with 2 stitches. 

Is this making sense?  I wish I had some way to show the knitting symbols, as I think it would make more sense.

Anyway, I decided to just pick up a stitch and muscle on.  I am really proud of my self that I found the error.  I would be a bit more secure if Wendy would comment on the error in her blog, validating my find.  She should be posting the next part of the shawlette soon, if not today.  I generally read the blog on my Kindle.  And, I have noticed that the blog shows up on the website earlier than on the Kindle.  So I shall check her website blog, and report back.



I worked only a tiny bit on James's afghan, and not at all on my puppets, as I wanted to catch up on the shawlette.  Also, as I wrote earlier, I played tons of Aion, and did tons of laundry (no photos or links for that, just lots of clean clothes at our house.)

C. A. Losi


































No comments:

Post a Comment