Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Happy Birthday, Emma!

Hello:

It was a super fun night tonight at Crossroads where the Eastside Stitchers met to knit and celebrate Emma's 1st birthday.  No photos of the beautiful birthday girl, but I can show you my gift to her which was an Owl Hat.
I used some Ella Rae yarn for the main part, with a garter stitch brim, knit a big tube, then did a 3-needle bind off at the top.  Then I used some white Cascade 220 and hooked two big circles (3 rounds of dc starting with 12 dc in a magic loop) leaving a long tail for sewing onto the hat.  I used some Cascade Heritage Sock yarn in black for the dark part of the eyes.  I hooked 12 sc in a magic loop, then did a 2nd round with 2 dc in each sc. but stopped with 20 dc.  I left a long tail to sew these onto the white part of the eyes.  The beak is a crocheted triangle of orange Cascade 220.  I think the yarns are a mix of wool and super-wash, but I hope they won't need to wash the hat...  I really had fun making it, and it knit up really quickly.

JitteryKnitter brought the last 2 pair of mittens for the Detroit Achievement Academy.  She has knit them flat in garterstitch, and I helped sew them together.

Our group made over 30 hats and 18 pair of mittens in about 2 1/2 months.  I am so proud of us!  Wajio was finishing up her last pair of mittens, too.
She made these top down using the Double Knitting method by Beverly Royce that she learned at Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival.

Puzan brought a new project.  I want to say she is making a new sweater...
of course it could be a cowl...  The yarn is this really neat barber pole striped yarn, but when knit up, it has a heather look.

The next four projects were of the Exit 0 shawl.  Let's hope I match the shawl with the right knitter.

 JulieMustKnit has finished the first striping pattern.

 O Rats.  CathieC's photographed a bit burry.  She has finished the first page!  I really think she made a wise decision when she changed her colors.  These look just right together.

 GwenS has finished the  triangular wedge!

Wireknitter's shawl looks like it is about finished with the first striping section, too.  Great progress, everyone.  These shawls really make me want to knit one for myself.


After finishing her mittens, Wajio started another charity project, a boob, or more precisely a knitted knocker.  Here is the information on this charity:

Knitted Knockers are special handmade breast prosthesis for women who have undergone mastectomies or other procedures to the breast. Traditional breast prosthetics are usually expensive, heavy, sweaty and uncomfortable. They typically require special bras or camisoles with pockets and can’t be worn for weeks after surgery. Knitted Knockers on the other hand are soft, comfortable, beautiful and when placed in a regular bra they take the shape and feel of a real breast.
Tara1682 brought her beautiful beaded shawl, Iznik I heart you.  This is to be a gift, and Tara is in the crunch time for finishing it.  Here is an attempt at a close up so you can see how many beads she has used.
Domestic Shorthair brought her finished Fast Forward by Natalie Servant for show and tell.
She brought another project, but I'm not sure what the pattern is... I believe it is a shawl.
Nightorchid was also knitting mittens tonight, but she is making Puppet Mittens!
The "teeth" were crocheted, and sewn in.  We were all delighted with these so cute mittens.

So, Happy Birthday, again to Emma.  It is just amazing that a whole year has passed since the first 4 of our crop of new Eastside Stitchers were born.

We have some more baby birthdays coming up, but not until after New Years!

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with wool.








No comments:

Post a Comment