Tuesday, September 30, 2014

If you buy yarn for a class, does it count as stash?

Hello:

This Sunday I will be attending the Nordic Knitting Conference in Ballard, WA.  I have wanted to go to this conference forever, but it is only held every 2 years, and the last time, I was down in So. California helping out at my brother's house.  The time before that, I didn't have any knitting friends, so was hesitant to go by myself... yes I know, kind of pathetic.

I am taking a class on choosing colors for fair isle knitting by Mary Jane Mucklestone called Fresh Fair Isle.  Here is the class description:
Liven up your Fair Isle knitting by exploring fresh new colorways. Color is the big fun – yet a big fear for many. This course will introduce the basics of color theory and how you can use its principals to guide your color choices. We will learn about the use of color over the years in traditional Fair Isle Knitting, and move beyond, developing our own new color schemes. Knitting a simple stranded wristlet will quickly illustrate these concepts. A classroom situation is the best possible learning experience; we will learn as much studying the color choices of our classmates as from our own selections. An exciting day of color experiments await you!
 We have to bring 3 - 8 (or more) colors of fingering weight shetland wool yarn, graph paper and color pencils.  I have fingering weight yarn... but not shetland wool fingering weight.  I ran down to The Knittery, in Renton, and had a really hard time stopping at 8 different colors.  They have a wonderful shelf full of Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift.  Not only do they have lots of colors on the shelves, but they have all the colors Jamieson's makes on a color card so you can see the yarns and pick other colors if you need to.  It was especially tough to choose colors since I am not sure what I will make, so I tried to get a variety.

The homework is to knit 1 inch of ribbing for the stranded colorwork wristlet.  I can't wait.

Definitely more on this later!

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with new yarn that somehow was not added to my stash...
Lemon 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what you learn and what you end up making.
    A friend of mine is going to the conference also, but I don't know if she is taking any classes. I have gone once with friends to the market, had a great time.

    ReplyDelete