Tuesday, September 23, 2014

3 Short Posts

Hello:

Fall is here.  This was the sunrise this morning over the Cascade Mountains.. (This not one of the posts, just a great sunrise.)

1. Dodeca...WHAT?

When my first child was born, I call him "Number 1 Son," my nieces and nephews came to visit.  Katie, who was 8 at the time, spent the whole visit trying to get him to say, "Dodecahedron."  She told me that Lisa Simpson (of the animated TV show, The Simpsons) tried to have her baby sister, Maggie's, first word be "Dodecahedron."  I do not know if this is true.  I never saw that episode.  But, the word, Dodecahedron, stayed in my family's vocabulary, and we often say it as a joke when we welcome new babies into the fold.

This summer, I tutored two high school students in Geometry, and when they did the 3-D unit (Volumes, Surface Area, etc.) we studied the 5 Platonic Solids which are these "famous" shapes made from regular faces or hedrons.  Of course one is the Dodecahedron which is made of 12 (the dodeca part) regular pentagons.

I used the African Flower motif from Heidi Bears.

2. Sunday Morning Knitting
Sad part:  I was the only one who showed up.
Happy part:  I got a lot done on the Weasley Sweater that I am knitting for Moogie.

3. Produce Bag

I did a test knit for Kateclysm of her new produce bag patterns, N. M. P. B. This stands for No More Plastic Bags.  I love the bag I made.
 Her booklet of patterns has many different tops and closures, I made the "bunny ears" top.  She also has different choices of mesh. 
 My bag looked small, but it fit 5 very large pieces of fruit:  3 apples and 2 nectarines.
These aren't meant to hold a Costco size bag of apples, just what you would buy at a regular grocery store.

I used cotton yarn that is washable, so I can just throw the bag in the washing machine if I need to, and reuse it.  No More Plastic Bags!

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a new produce bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment