Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Happy All Saints' Day! Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Why is it so hard to do a simple k1p1 rib?  I swear I can NOT count to 1.

Last night was Halloween.  If you do not live in a part of the world that celebrates it, you are truly missing out.  Along with American Thanksgiving, it has always been my favorite holiday.  I am not talking about the religious aspects, just the fun/work involved.  I mean, what's not to love?  You get to dress up.  You get to go out when it is dark and a bit scary.  You go to strangers'  houses and THEY GIVE YOU CANDY.  Can't beat that! 

Now that all my kids are gone but 2, and those 2 are 22 and 16 years old, we have really ramped down our celebration of Halloween, but we still carve a pumpkin and give out candy.  Ok, I'm a sap, but I get a little teary eyed at some of the kids when they come to the door.  They are so excited.  There is something about dressing up.  Costumes are the best.



We live on a hill, and it's pretty steep, so we don't always get that many kids, cause once you walk down our hill, you have to walk back up it... Not an easy job.  Anyway, I try to make sure I have good candy to reward that effort.  This year our bowl was full of Butterfingers, Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, and Starburst Fruit Chews.  I figured, something for everyone.  But NO!  There was one little boy, about 5 years old, who took a look in the bowl and said:  "I don't like any of these."  And he turned away and took nothing.  LOL!  First time that ever happened.

I sat upstairs, our house is what is called a "daylight rambler," meaning that since we live on a hill, from the front our house looks like there is one floor, and from the back there are two, in the kitchen and answered the door to the Trick or Treaters. 

I kept my knitting up there and worked on my Mystery Sweater while I waited.  I have finished the body.

I connected the top shoulder seams with a 3 needle bind-off. Wow it was super easy.  I have never done one of those before. I need to pick up stitches in the armholes, and begin stitching the arms.  I am taking a short break though, because it is now November 1, and I can cast on new socks for the SKA Sockdown 2011, and Solid Socks Challenge.

I have cast on 3 socks, and am sure I will go crazy trying to finish them all AND the sweater.

I am making the SKA mystery sock for November, which is being called Movember, and is designed by Deb Barnhill who is KnittinPharm on Ravelry. I am using this gorgeous brown tweedish yarn from Kertzer called On Your Toes.  It is a sock yard that has Aloe Vera, I'm not sure... infused into it?  It feels great to hold while knitting and should make a very comfortable sock.

The k1p1 rib is for these socks.  I am going to try to keep up with the clues, and finish each clue before the next one is released.  This might be a challenge as I am knitting these TaaT on circular needles, as usual, but I hope I can keep up.

They will double-dip with the Solid Socks Autumn challenge.  The color is inspired by the bark of the fir trees in our yard:
It's a wonderful brown-gray.  I am making these socks for my husband, Doc, so I hope they are fairly manly.

I also cast on some socks for my friend, M.  I am using the same yarn as the Movember socks, but in blue:
These socks were inspired by the deep blue skies we get when the clouds clear on our bright Autumn days.  Yes, a rare sight, but pretty awesome. 

I am using a pretty basic Man-Sock pattern called, "Mr Pitt's Socks"  by Kaitlyn Wong.  They are supposed to be the perfect pair of socks for Elaine's boss (on the show Seinfield), and therefore perfect for any man.

The third cast on is for a pair of socks for myself.  I am using that gorgeous Red yarn from Cascade Heritage, and one of the featured designers for the SKA November sockdown,

The designer is Nicole Masson, and the pattern is called "Osier Socks."  I looked that up on Dictionary.com, and discovered that Osier is a name for Willows.  Since I'm using red yarn, I'm calling this project, "Red Willows."

I have my knitting hands full!!  and my needles, too.

As I knit, I will think of the student, who will stay warm in the sweater, my husband, Doc, and my friend M in his time of need.  How wonderful to be able to share.

C. A. Losi

No comments:

Post a Comment