Friday, March 27, 2015

Fanny Pack

Hello:

Fanny Pack 1
About 15 years ago, I got a fanny pack.  I was finally getting out of the diaper bag stage, and had realized that if I had a big purse, I filled it up.  If my purse was small I filled that, and no more.  I whittled down what I needed to carry to fit a small fanny pack, and was totally happy.

That was when fanny packs were pretty new, and, well, acceptable.

Eventually the buckle broke, and I had to get rid of it.  My daughters each bought me purses which I used until they broke.  Then, last summer when I was getting ready to go to Europe, I bought a new fanny pack. 

I wanted something small to carry my passport and credit card while I was riding the bike.  I loved it.  Since I have been back, I have used my fanny pack exclusively instead of a bigger purse.

My kids were not happy with this, but then, they are used to me not being cool.  At school, I carry extra pencils for my students in my pack.  I also carry a small pencil sharpener.  It is very handy.  Last week one of my girl students asked if I wear the pack when I go out.  When I said, "yes," she looked appalled, just like one of my kids.

Cleanse

Most of the Math Department at my school is doing a 3 week, "cleanse."  For the first week we can only eat vegetables, fruit, and nuts.  No caffeine, etc.  Only olive oil.  I have been eating this way since Monday, and am doing really well.  I made 2 pitchers of vegetable juice (5 cucumbers, a whole head of celery, 2 apples and 1 lemon) and bring 3 bottles each day to sip.  I have small salads with lemon for the dressing, and have been eating raw almonds and pecans.  Usually my breakfast is just fruit, like mixed berries.  Yum.

Cutting out caffeine was pretty hard as I had gotten very bad lately about drinking coffee, tea, and dokes (diet coke).  I stopped drinking those on the retreat because I was afraid that I would be horribly cranky at work, and didn't want to do that to the students.  I am still waking up with a headache every morning.  I don't think it is still the caffeine, though.  It might be that I'm not drinking enough fluids though I have my juice, and water once I get home.

On Monday, I will add fish and organic soy. 

Fanny Pack 2
So my back and legs have been aching a bit this week.  I was trying to decide if the cleanse was affecting my muscles somehow.  Like maybe the lack of protein was making them weak. Or maybe it was all the spinning I was doing. Finally, on Wednesday I realized it was my fanny pack.

I wear my pack in front, so it is more of a belly pack than a fanny pack.  And since I have been doing so much tutoring, I've had cash in the pack, not just a few cards.  I've been paying for stuff with the cash, and there is always change.  A lot of change.  This change was collecting in my pack.  The weight was pulling on the pack, and making my lower back ache.  Honestly. 

On Wednesday night, I tried an experiment.  I emptied all the change out of my pack, and have gone to work these last 2 days with a lighter pack.

No back ache.

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet in the fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment