Saturday, August 18, 2012

Fullerton Aboretum and Korean Barbeque


Hello!

Life

Fullerton Arboretum
Yesterday, my sister, S, and I took her grandson, Z, our niece, S, and S's friend L to the Fullerton Arboretum.  My sister is amazing.  She babysits her grandson in the summers while her daughter is at work.  My sister is a teacher during the school year, and she gets together with her teacher friends and their kids at least one day a week to go somewhere "fun."  In addition to that, S tries to one "fun" thing every day with her grandson.  Hence the trip to the Arboretum.

We fed the fish, turtles and ducks.
catfish

They have all of the usual "areas" in the park including forest and desert.

There are community gardens, where people can use the plots to grow whatever they want.

A wonderful children's garden
with a fabulous Gourd Tunnel

The best part was the Ombu Tree, or as we called it, the Tarzan Tree.

The kids had a great time climbing and playing in it.


Korean Barbeque
The last part of my 3 part posts about August 14, 2012 involves lots and lots of amazing food.  After our tour of Walt Disney Studios, we headed to Los Angeles for some Korean Barbeque with my nephew, A, and his lovely bride, S.

We ate at Genwa on Wilshire Blvd.  S ordered since she is of Korean heritage, and knew what was what.  I have never had Korean BBQ before, and wow it was amazing.


Lots of side dishes (I have no idea what any of them are)
Lots and lots of meat



This is not the cuisine for vegetarians.

It was a wonderful evening.

Dessert Lollipops
Thank you, A and S.





Knitting

When I wasn't climbing trees, I was working on my Thistle Hat by Liz Marino.  The pattern and yarn are part of her Gift Knits Club.

I started the hat when I was at Disneyland, and worked on the ribbed border while waiting in line for rides.  That part was easy because there was no real pattern to worry about.

On the Pinocchio ride
 I am now on the thistle pattern, and while it isn't easy, it is tough to knit while so distracted.  I never fully realized the luxury of my quiet house for knitting patterns.  At home, I am alone all day while Pookie is in school and the Doc at work.  Here, I am constantly interrupted mid repeat.  And that is ok, that is why I am here, to help out.  But I have had to tink quite a bit.  I am persevering though.





My other knitting news is that I have taught my niece, Pinky, to knit.  She had learned crochet from my mom, her grandmother, but wanted to expand her skills.  She learned it super quickly, and is already knitting her first hat.  My niece, S, wants to learn as well, and I will be buying her some needles and yarn this weekend.

HPKCHC

I have submitted my application for sorting, have received my confirmation from the Sorting Hat (who is a member of Ravelry, ha!), and am waiting to hear which house I will be in next term.

I am looking at submitting a project for an OWL (this is to be something that will take 6 weeks to 2 months of knitting at my normal pace).  One of the options, for Muggle Studies, is to make a coordinated set of 3 pieces (socks, hat, scarf, cowl, gloves, mittens, etc).  Another is to make a sweater or 2 children's sweaters.  I am looking at both of these options, but since I would have to submit swatches on Sept. 1 for the project, and I am far from my stash, .... well, yes, you guessed it, I would have to buy yarn.  I will look for a good LYS in Orange or Anaheim Hills next week.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet by spreading knitting across Orange County, CA







No comments:

Post a Comment