Friday, August 17, 2012

Cerritos Heritage Park and Walt Disney Studios


Hello!

Life

Continuing my California Diaries...

On Tuesday, August 14, after we had visited my Godchildren in Santa Monica, we headed over the Hollywood Hills to Burbank to meet my nephew's new bride, S, who works for ABC and Disney Studios.  She took us on a fun tour of the facility.

The old Walt Disney Studios is a beautiful lot full of original office buildings and sound stages.

Of course, there are some new additions to the studios.



One thing that doesn't change, is Walt Disney's Corner Office.





It was a wonderful tour.  Thank you, S!


For a completely different day, yesterday, my sister, S, and I took her grandson and my brother's daughter to meet with some friends at Heritage Park in the city of Cerritos, California.
The park has a pond with an island in the center.  On the island are play houses and climbing structures built to look like Boston during the American Revolution.




There is a covered bridge to cross the water which forms sort of a moat around the town.




 On the island are the buildings, just like Old Boston.



They are labeled so kids can get a sense of what types of businesses and shops were in a typical colonial village.
One thing that is NOT typical to a real colonial village is the slide out of the houses!

There were ducks to be fed,


Turtles sunning near the moat,

And, of course, ice cream!



Knitting


I brought my Capricious Cowl to the park because we sat on the grass and chatted while the kids played on the structures, and I didn't want to have to pay attention to a pattern.


I have made huge progress on this cowl because I keep going places where I cannot concentrate, so I can't work on the other WIP's I have going which include my Thistle Hat by Liz Marino, and the Echo Flower Shawl I am making for my mom.

HPKCHC

One other thing I wanted to mention is that today is Sorting Day!  in the Harry Potter Knit/Crochet House Cup Group (HPKCHC) on Ravelry.   I hope to do some posts about the sorting process, and a bit on how the group/game is run next week.  I am both excited and nervous to be sorted.  Not about which house, though.  One thing I learned this "term" (4 month period) is that all of the houses are full of nice, supportive, fun stitchers.  I am just hoping that I will be a credit to my House!

Where in the World is f1bercat?

Still no real exercise.  I keep telling myself to walk around my brother's block.  He lives on a pretty steep hill, so it would be pretty good exercise.  But then, I don't.  I hope I can get back into the regular exercise thing when I go home in September.

Stay safe and well.
Yours,
f1bercat
Shaping the planet from Sunny Southern California


No comments:

Post a Comment