Monday, October 17, 2011

These are Chartreuse Enough For Anyone! Monday, October 17, 2011

I walked today.

It is already pretty dark in the mornings here, and there were clouds on the horizon, but they were lifting as the sun rose over the Cascades, and by the time I got to the top of our hill, Mount Rainier was visible.  Wow, it is great to be alive and living in the Pacific Northwest.

I finally finished my Chartreuse Socks for Luke, the SKA Mystery Sock (Watercress Socks).


These socks and their pattern held many "firsts" for me.:  First mystery kal sock, new M1L M1R, First sock with pattern on the heel, first sock with pattern on the gusset, first sock with a conditional cast on/ruffled top band.

Here is a photo of the socks before I got to the top:

at this point, we had to do a conditional cast on in some waste yarn, then knit the top band PERPENDICULAR to the top of the socks.

conditional cast on:

beginning the top band.  We used the same chart and pattern as that which is repeated on the body of the sock, only sideways.  So cool!  It formed a wavy pattern, a ripple, that makes the top look like a ruffle.


This shows the first half of the first sock.

I wasn't sure if I could keep up the 2aaT, but I thought that I would at least start out the first sock that way, then if I need to slip one sock onto a different set of needles, I would.  But, somehow, though the needles got a bit confusing at some points ( i was using 2 circular needles), I was able to knit the first side of Sock A, then all of Sock B, then the second side of Sock A.

I must admit, I am very proud of myself.

Now I will crank on the Hermione's socks for Hannah.  I hope to get these finished, blocked, and mailed BEFORE October 31.

For a sit and knit project, I have cast on a Sweater to make for the Sharing Our Gifts group.  The yarn is so much bigger than sock yarn!  And the needles (size 8) seem so huge in my hands.  I am using black Wool-Ease, by Lion Brand Yarns.  That is one of the acceptable colors.  It is easier to keep clean than white (another acceptable color), and though it might be a bit tough to knit such dark yarn, it won't show my errors!

C. A. Losi

No comments:

Post a Comment