Thursday, August 4, 2011

I Scream You Scream Thursday, August 4, 2011

1. Allie's NEW Rain Socks

I completely unraveled the rain socks, and am trying them again.  Here is the math using size 000 needles, the beautiful 40" Addi Turbo Lace Circular Knitting Needles


Toe to Gusset length
X = 10 1/4 in (desired sock length for size 7)
Y = 47 [gusset and heel cup (75% of sock width - 1)]
Z = 11 (rows / inch)
X - (Y / Z) = 10.25 - (47/11) = 5.977 inches

Total rows 5.977 x 11 = 65.7 rows (rounding down)
Toes = 20 rows
Foot = tgl - toe = 65-20 = 45 rows

I will make the toes, then knit 45 rows, then start the gusset increases.

I'm not sure I am measuring correctly when I make my gauge swatches, but I got the same number of stitches per inch (7), though somehow I got 11 rows per inch!  I am making the wider sock... I just don't believe that gauge.
Last time I knit these however they turn out.  I have other orders for socks.

2. ICE CREAM!

We   (ok, I) bought an ice cream maker :
 I am so excited.  My husband's brother and family just moved from New Hampshire to Tuscon, Arizona, and I wanted a really good housewarming gift.  They have 3 kids:  5, 3, 2.  What could be a better way to deal with their new climate than homemade ice cream?  While I was shopping online, I decided that I wanted one, too.  

Last night I tried to make my first batch.  ROFL.  I used a recipe from How to Cook Everything, Completely Revised 10th Anniversary Edition: 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food , one of my all time favorite general cookbooks, for Strawberry Ice Cream.  This is the real deal, with 6 egg yolks, and heavy whipping cream.  First, I got the cream too hot and it curdled.  I thought, well, it might still work... so I put it in the machine anyway.  30 minutes later, it still wasn't ice cream, so I decided to actually check the directions.  WOW, you are supposed to actually freeze the machine's mixing bowl first.  Who would have thought...  So I dumped my grayish curdy sludge, washed out the mixing bowl, and put it in the freezer.  This morning I made new cream/sugar/egg mixture, and this time it looks perfect.  It is in the refrigerator, chilling.  When we start dinner, I will take everything out, pour it in the frozen mixing bowl, and by the time we are done with dinner:  Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream.

I can't wait to try it.

3. Walk

I walked 1 mile around our neighborhood today.  I am so proud of myself.  I woke up at 4 am, and thought, o no!  I couldn't fall back asleep but got up about 5:30 and hit the street by 6:15.  When I finished the first block (starting north from our house) and reached our street, I was sooooo tempted to turn down and just walk home, being happy with 1/2 mile.  But I kept on walking and did the 2nd (south side) block, which makes it 1 mile.  Yeah me!

C. A. Losi

No comments:

Post a Comment