Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sock Progress/Great Blog/Inspiration 7.10.11

Wow, by my title, I obviously can't come to a decision on what to write this blog entry about.  FOCUS.

So, I will just take it piece by piece.

Sock Progress
I am making such great progress on the socks for my daughter, Allie.  I needed 31 rows for the foot (toe - to - gusset), and decided that if I could accomplish 15 rows a day, it would take me 2 days (ok, 15 the first day, 16 the second...).  Then the first day I only finished 5 rows.  LOL.  So then I down-graded it to 5 rows a day, taking 6 days?  The second day, I got to 17 completed rows, and when I got up this morning at 5 am I thought, ok, lets try 10 rows.  But I got  into a Buffy groove (Harmony's Gang, Xander Double, Dracula) and finished all 31 rows.  I need Allie to come home to try the socks on just to be sure they are "gusset ready." 


I am not sure why all these photos are blurry.  I think I need more light, maybe.  Anyway,
aren't they beautiful?  There is not much of a pattern so far.  Toes, and a simple 1k1p ribbing for the feet.  Once I get through the heels, the pattern will start.

The worst thing about the blur is you can't see how beautiful the yarn is.  Cascade Heritage Paints Sock Yarn - Isle of Skye #9825 And wow!  what a dream to knit.  It is super stretchy.  I have never used real sock yarn before.  I always made my "socks" with sport weight before now, because it knits up so fast, and well, I'm a slow knitter.  I never realized how cool real sock yarn is.  How nice it is to work with. 

And I love my needles.  I'm using Harmony circular needles from Knitpicks.  They are beautiful.  At first I had a little trouble with the circular part being so circular.  I really should have put it in some hot water to relax it a bit, but with all the knitting, it has relaxed enough now that it isn't getting quite so tangled.

BTW Spike just kissed Buffy.  We are getting into my favorite episodes.  The last 3 seasons of this show were amazing.

Great Blog
For some reason, my Kindle hasn't been downloading new material.  I primarily use it to read  blogs, and by blogs, I mean knitting blogs.  I don't really like to read books on it, though I might download a few to read when I am traveling.  Anyway, it finally updated 2 of my favorite blogs, Wendy Knits and Knitting With Karma.  So I had a wonderful read, catching up with about 5 entries in both blogs. 

The Knitting With Karma July 4th entry was especially wonderful.  Liz Marino, the author, wrote a wonderful piece about how knitting has changed in the USA from the Revolutionary War to today.  Here's the link for that entry: Knitting with Karma: Independence Day.  It was so interesting.  I love this blog because Liz gives really good instruction (knitting Math), fiber information, LYS information, color ideas, etc.  But this particular entry was just inspiring!  It really made me think about how important home crafts have been through the ages.

[I'm happy that my daughter, Allie, enjoys crocheting.  I wish I could get Samantha to knit, crochet, and/or sew.  Particularly sew.  She has such a wonderful sense of style.  She would be able to create such cool pieces if she had the tools.  OK, I left out my sons.  The 2 youngest learned to knit years ago when they were performing in The Nutcracker.  All the boys in our cast learned.  It was a wonderful way to keep them occupied and quiet in the dressing room. But they haven't picked up needles since then.  Knitting is such a wonderful stress reliever.  I should try to encourage them to try it again.] This part is off topics... FOCUS

That leads me to the next idea I had for this post:

Inspiration
I have had many ideas for projects, especially since I started reading blogs by designers.  The Independence blog gave me inspiration for a writing idea.  I am continually amazed by knitting and crocheting.  I mean, who figured out how to do it?  How did it develop?  I want to do some research into the real history of knitting.  What are the earliest pieces?  And what/where are the earliest needles?  How long ago did people start?  Was it before or after weaving?  Anyway, this is really interesting to me.  I hope to research and report back.

C. A. Losi

No comments:

Post a Comment