Saturday, July 23, 2011

Red Hot Socks Saturday, July 23, 2011

I have started the socks for my Great Nephew Zach.  I am using Red Hots Sock Yarn from Sock-Ease yarn from Lion Brand Yarns.  This yarn is not very soft.  I hope the socks aren't too itchy for little Zach.  But they look terrific.  So far I have finished the toes:






A bit more "orange hot" than really red, but I wanted orange yarn anyway.  I love the self striping colors, too.  You can't see them very well in this bad photo, but I'm in a rush and wanted to post SOMETHING.

I am doing my own "pattern."  My niece says that Zach wears size 2.5 which seems HUGE for a 5 year old.  She says, yes, he has monster feet. 

Here is my "Knitting Math" for these socks:



Size:   2.5 
8 2/3  inches foot length
7 1/4 in  width around cuff

gauge: 
8 stitches/in   
10 rows /in

Circumference 7.25 in x 8 st/in = 58  so
100% = 58 I'm going with 56 It's easier if there are even numbers on the needles and when you divide 58 by 2 you get 29.

50% (stitches on each needle) = 28
75% = 42
25% = 14

X = desired total sock length = 8 2/3  8.67 in
Y = # rows in gusset and heel cup (75% circumference-1)= 41
Z = rows per inch = 10

X - (Y/Z) = TGL
8.67 - (41 / 10) = 4.57 inches
4.57 in x 10 rows/in = 45.7 in  rounded up to 46 rows from tip of toe to gusset.

the toes will increase each row so casting on 8 on each needle
12 rows of toes (11 increases + 1 row of just K)
34 rows of foot

This last part in bold is new.   I have discovered a potentially fatal flaw in the socks I made for Allie.  The formula given in Toe-Up 2 at a Time Socks  give a Toe to Gusset  length.  I was thinking:  End of the toe section to gusset!  But on re-reading the book, it is from the tip of the toe to the beginning of the gusset!!!!  O! no!  I believe the socks for Allie are about 1 1/2 inches too long.  Exactly the length of the toe section =(  I will have her try them on after they are blocked (still waiting for my new blocking toys ... I mean tools), and then if they are uncomfortably long, we can decide if I should just remake them.  The pattern is easy, and it took me about 2 weeks of knitting.  I won't mind taking them apart and remaking them.  Or I can donate them to charity, and some person with long skinny feet can have a pair of hand knitted socks!


I tried to check for some rule of thumb for how quickly/slowly to increase the sides of the toes and couldn't really find a nice formula.  One blog I found said that if you increase every row, you will get wider toes, if you do an increase row followed by a straight knit row, the toes will be longer and more narrow.  Also, there was no real formula saying how many stitches to cast on.  So I decided to just cast on  8 stitches on each side.  Then I increased each row until I had 28 stitches on each side.
 
I figured out how many rows of toe increases I was going to use from 8 stitches to 28 is 11 rows (I did one straight row) then added one more straight row, so 12 rows of toes, then subtracted those rows from the total Toe-to-Gusset number.  46 - 12 = 34.  The foot of the sock will be 34 rows.

I am just using a simple 4x2 ribbing for the top.  Because the 28 stitches to a needle is a bit of a weird number for dividing, the actual sock ribbing for the leg, will not be completely even.  

The top (or instep, or front) of the leg ribbing will be:

K K K K X X K K K K X X K K K K X X K K K K X X K K K K  




























and the back will start with a K then repeat the pattern 4x2 , ending with an extra K:



K X X K K K K X X K K K K X X K K K K X X K K K K X X K

 So there will be 5 knits at the sides, but this will center the ribbing a bit more.

For the foot part, I will do the instep ribbing and just knit the sole.  I think a ribbed sole can feel lumpy.

I am excited.

C. A. Losi




No comments:

Post a Comment