Friday, May 13, 2016

My Brother

I keep starting this post over and over trying to say this different ways, but I'll just write it.  My brother is close to dying.  He has asked that his sisters come.  I am leaving early tomorrow morning and plan on staying through Monday.  I don't know if I will be there when he dies.  I don't think I need to be there, but we shall see.  I have spent many many weeks with him over the last 6 years since he was diagnosed with ALS, and I am happy that our relationship is so strong and positive.  I think he wants to say goodbye while he is still aware, as that is starting to become a problem since he can no longer breathe without a ventilator, and this means that he is not always getting the oxygen he needs.  He likes to take the mask off so he can talk.  This has been one of the wonders of his illness.  Most ALS patients lose their ability to talk early.  My brother's disease progressed in a really atypical way, leaving him chatting with his friends right up until the end.  He has been able to be an integral part of a wide circle of friends and family. 

Think of him and his family.  Pray for a happy death.  He deserves one.

Peace,
Carol

1 comment: