Monday, April 25, 2011

Lessons in Sock Making 1 - Numbers


I am making a pair of "socks," really booties, for a stuffed bear.  I have made a few pairs of socks in the past, but this time, I am really trying to understand the sock anatomy, so I can adapt patterns to really fit, and make my own patterns.  I am using "Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks" by Melissa Morgan-Oakeshttp://www.amazon.com/Toe-Up-2-at-Time-Melissa-Morgan-Oakes/dp/1603425330/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303750328&sr=8-1 as my guide.  I like knitting from the toe up, and her 2-at-a-time method is wonderful. 



What I have learned so far:
The number of stitches around the foot (after the toe increases) = the number of stitches around the leg of the sock.  Call that 100%.
The top of the foot (the instep) needle has 50% of the stitches.
The bottom of the foot (the sole) needle has 50% of the stitches.
The gusset adds 50% more to the sole, 25% to each side.
The heal cup markers are placed at between the gusset and original sole stitches. So knit 25%, place a marker, knit 50%,  and place the 2nd heal marker (in Melissa's book she has you knit 50% - 1, slip and wrap the next stitch, then place the marker).

Wow, a lot of numbers, but this will help me set up my own patterns.  Especially since they are percents.

I know these booties will be too big for the Bear, but, as he won't actually be walking, who cares?


C. A. L.

No comments:

Post a Comment