Thursday, February 9, 2012

Eastside Stitchers Meet at Crossroads, and a Surprise!

Hi there!

I am in a fabulous mood today.  First I want to say, "I HAVE A FOLLOWER!"  I'm so excited.  I actually texted my kids about it.  I thought they would all laugh, but they thought it was cool. =)  When I started my blog, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to post on the web.  I thought that I would have it just be a private fiberdiary.  But well, crafting in your home can be a lonely thing, a bit like writing.  So, I thought, what the heck, I'll put it out there.  It's not like anyone will be interested in what I'm knitting/crocheting...  But it is so much fun to be connected with other stitchers.  I just love Ravelry for connecting me.  And now, someone is actually following my blog.  Thank you MWitch3.

Ok, enough silly jumping up and down.

Last night, I went up to Crossroads to meet with the Eastside Stitchers for an evening of well, great knitting (on Ellyol's part it was crocheting), conversation, and a little dinner =)  This was my second time meeting up with the group, and our little table is getting crowded!  If this keeps up, we will have to start putting tables together to make enough room.  I'm going to run through the ravatars of the people who showed:  Jenknotsed8, Cleothyla, Ellyol, KTypes, MsWiz, Chockelet, and Brainlady, as well as Colleen, who is not on Ravelry.  I took some photos of their WIP's, I so hope I am connecting the correct person to the correct WIP.

 This is a baby blanket that Colleen is making.  Doesn't it look super soft? 
 KTypes was knitting... wow, I can't remember what this is going to be.  Pretty colors though.

MsWiz is knitting something pretty in pink.  A sweater.  But who is it for?  She held it up, and it's darling.


Ellyol is crocheting this hilarious octopus hat.


These are lacy wristers, knitted by Cleothyla.  The pattern is called something like Vintage Alice Lace Wristers.  (wow I am such a bad reporter, I always
forget to write these things down.) 









and a pair of Fishlips, yes you read that right.  FISHLIPS! knitted by Jenknotsed8.  I also included a photo of the end pattern.  The lips are the beginning of a fish hat.  Seriously, I am so making this!  I have no idea for whom, and sort of don't care.  It is amazingly cute.


I  did not get a photo of Chockelet's project and I am super sorry about that.  Not just because I am leaving her out of the photos, but because she is knitting a CHESS SET.  No kidding!  She has the pawns finished, I saw a rook/castle, and she was getting ready to put the knights/horses together.  A Knitted Chess Set.  How cool is that?  Also, Brainlady came later, after I had put my camera away, so I missed photographing the shrug she is knitting.  She was making great progress, too!  So I might not get a photo, since she may be on to something completely different next week.

It's a bit funny that 2 people were stitching fish/sea related projects last night.

But what was I working on?  That's the surprise!  I am knitting a baby jacket to go with the incredibly cute eggplant hat and shoes that I am making for the Sharing Our Gifts Across America group on Ravelry.  It is an Elizabeth Zimmerman Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ), and I am almost finished.  I had hoped to finish it up last night, but the fun chatter slowed me down  (it CAN'T  be that I am a slow knitter... no, not at all).  I am far enough along now that you can see the jacket in the surprise:

This is what the BSJ looks like lying flat.  You are seeing the "wrong" side, though really, there is no right or wrong side until you sew in the buttons.  I have randomly changed colors back and forth with no real plan except to give some stripes, and use up the purple skein of yarn.









Here I have folded up the bottom corners, and you can see that it is indeed, SURPRISE!  a baby jacket.  After I finish the knitting (extending the bottom, knitting a button placket), I will sew 2 seams from the wrists to the neck, weave in the ends, and the jacket will be finished.  A totally fun pattern, and easier than it seems.  As I read ahead in the directions, I always get confused.  What?  What does that mean?  But If I take it step by step, and just believe in EZ's directions, it all works out.




It's back to raining in my corner of the Pacific Northwest, and a bit cold.  I'm putting on my Blathnat socks, and finishing up that jacket.

Have a great day!

f1bercat
saving the world one baby jacket at a time

No comments:

Post a Comment