Tuesday, November 6, 2012

KnitFit! and Leethal Knits


Hello!

On Saturday, November 3, I attended the first KnitFit! Convention at the Ballard Community Center in Seattle.  This is the first knitting happening that I have attended, other than crawls (2012 Puget Sound LYS Tour, Whidbey Island FiberQuest). Classes were offered all day Saturday and Sunday.  I only took one class and then participated in the Knitting Game Saturday Night.

When I entered, there were people.....

knitting.
I met Diane, Angie, and Brenda.

There were volunteers manning the various tables, and available to help direct attendees to the classrooms.




There was a really nice Market, with way too much really cool yarn,

and roving.





Tempting!  Ok, I fell off the no more yarn bandwagon, and bought some cashmere fingering from Pepperberry Knits.  It is the most gorgeous purple, look at the top skein.  I almost caught the color:


I'm not sure that I bought enough, but I might make my 2012 Advent Calendar Scarf with this yarn.


Anyway, I took a class in Self Publishing Patterns, by Lee Meredith, aka Leethal, on Ravelry.  Her website is LeethalKnits
She is a designer from Portland, OR, and her designs are very funky and fun.  The class was WONDERFUL.  It was not aimed at actually writing or developing patterns, but rather on the pdf's, getting set up on Ravelry and other sites as a designer, and then marketing your work.  I can't believe how much I learned, and I hope to create some patterns before the end of the year.



Later that night, I went to Game Knitting event.  It was a really fun idea for a knit knight.  Basically, we brought a simple project, I brought a wash cloth.  We watched a movie from the 80's:  Say Anything, staring a very young John Cusak.  We first made a list of things that often happen in the movie, the word "love,"  people playing a guitar, John Cusak talking nervously fast, etc.  Then decided an alteration to our pattern.  For instance, my washcloth started as a simple k3, p2, rib.  Every time one of the list happened, I had to switch my pattern, so, I went from knit to purl or vice versa, then continued the pattern that way.  It was a really fun way to spend an evening with knitting friends.

Here is my washcloth:
I really love how the pattern developed and morphed, and I had a blast with GwenS, her mom, and friend.


Stay safe and well.


Yours,

f1bercat
shaping the planet with design ideas.




No comments:

Post a Comment