Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Blame it on the Luau

Hello:

I was all settled down to some good crafting yesterday, in fact, I was downstairs, just getting started on my spinning wheel, when the phone rang, and I had a Substitute job.  I had to call to reschedule a tutoring job for the morning, and off I went.  I didn't finish until 5:30 pm, then tutored until 8.  Wow,  working stinks.

So this morning, I finished my spinning (I'm trying to spin every morning), and came upstairs to work on an afghan square.  I was on the last round when... you guessed it... the phone rang, and I had a substitute job.

The funny thing is that both jobs were sort of the same thing.  After school day care.  Well, the one yesterday also included recess monitor (my Masters in Mathematics Education is being well used), then I helped monitor the 4 year olds' after school program.  Actually it was really fun, and the little kids were amazing.

Today it was a middle school "study hall."  That is a euphemism for extended day care.  Again, though, the kids were great.  They were supposed to study quietly for about 45 min, then go outside to play on the ball court (soccer nets, basketball hoop, 4 square, etc.) then come back in for 45 min of study, then outside, etc. until their parents picked them up.  No kidding.  The kids all came in, took out notebook computers, and played games pretty much the whole time.  I think one kid did actual homework.  It gave me 4 hours of knitting, though, while I chatted with them, and occasionally asked them to bring the noise level down.

I have a finished hat (except for weaving in) that I worked on yesterday, and have started another washcloth for the SavvyGirls' Swapetition.  But what I want to show you tonight is the fingerless mitts I started in Maui.

You might remember a quick photo of them from the beach.
I'm still knitting from stash, so they are some rust colored Wool-Ease that I bought about 4 years ago,   for??? I don't remember, maybe I was going to make a sweater?  because I have a lot of it.  The pretty gray stripes are from the Holiday Yarn skein in the Embers colorway I also bought at least a year ago.  This is really pretty yarn, but I don't have enough of it to make something so I am using it for accents in a bunch of hats, mitts, etc.

Since I have only the one skein, and I was too lazy to wind it into two cakes, I am using it rather creatively when I am knitting 2-at-a-time, which is how I made these mitts.  Someone at the beach in Maui looked at the mitts and asked if they were for different pairs.  Ha ha ha.  I explained that it was fashionable to have the stripes in different places on a pair of mitts (not that I was too lazy...).  So the plan was to stripe the wrist of one mitt and the hand of the other.

I brought the mitts to the Luau, and actually worked on them a bit during the show.  It was a bit dark, but It is a super easy K2P1 rib, so I felt that I could probably get something done anyway.  I knit away, adding the Embers yarn for the stripes, and so on.  When I got up the next morning, I realized that I had striped the hand of the mitt that already had stripes on the wrist.
Oh, well, I decided to just go with it.  I alternated stripes for a bit, but since it was really adding to the ends to weave in, I just gave up and ended with 2 stripes on one hand and 3 on the other.

I still haven't woven in all those ends!

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with design features.




No comments:

Post a Comment