Friday, May 3, 2013

Vanesa Vanesa Vanesa is back!

Hello:

It's so nice that I have helpers when I am trying to hook an afghan square.

The Friday Fiber sub-group from Eastside Stitchers met for some morning stitching at Crossroads.  The weather has gotten quite lovely again, and since we are past the Spring Equinox and getting close to the Summer Solstice, the sun rises very early now, and we had great light through the skylight at the center of the Mall.

I arrived first.  I have started a part-time job as a tutor at Bellevue College, and though I really don't want to work on Fridays (Hello!  I have knitting on Friday mornings), I agreed to meet one of my ESL (English as a Second Language) students for an hour.  Since I knew that I had to leave early, I wanted to get to stitching as early as possible to make up for it.

I am sure I have said this many times, but Crossroads is not much of a mall.  It is really a giant food court with lots of tables, a stage that is often used by local schools for performances, and a few stores (thank goodness a Jo-Ann's, a Starbucks, and a Half-Price Books).  You can take a table for 4 - 6 hours and not feel like you need to eat and move on.  Because of this, there are lots of crafting groups who use the space. 

Today, while I waited for stitch buddies to join me, I saw a man tatting,
and a small group of women stitching a knit/crochet squares afghan to a quilt fabric backing for a friend who is sick.
The Eastside Stitchers soon began arriving.

Skeinherder brought her There and Back Again socks . She has finished the first sock, and was working on the toe of the 2nd.

Later in the morning, she progressed to some very soft fingerless gloves, Ghislaine Gloves  by Sara Varty.
Mary brought an almost finished baby dress.  She had a bit of seaming to do, and lots and lots of weaving in.
WireKnitter is a few inches further on her beautiful Pebble sweater by Laura Aylor.
This started a discussion of what types of projects are good to bring to Crossroads, and what happens when a project gets so big that it is no longer easily portable.  You want to keep working on it, as you are getting closer to the end, but when it is tough to fit in a project bag, or just too heavy to lug around, you tend to leave it home and work on other things.

CathyC arrived with her Potato Chip scarf.  She has made some real progress.  Again, this is an easy pattern, but it does require counting.  That can be a problem when you are chatting and laughing with your friends.
And then,

VanesaPolo arrived!  She has been gone for the last few weeks on vacation in Spain.  It was so much fun to have her back. 

She brought some show and tell,
and her Potato Chip Scarf #2.






I brought an afghan square for the First Anniversary Afghan I am making for my nephew and his bride. This is Waldo's Puzzle by Chris Simon.  Great clear pattern with some round photos included in the pdf to help out.


Tomorrow, Skeinherder and I will be hitting 10 stores in one day on the South Sound LYS Crawl.  You can expect photos of pastries and alpaca, since one of the shops is near a great bakery, and another is an alpaca farm!

Peace,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with a puzzle.














No comments:

Post a Comment