Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My First Knitted Doll


FO

As you can see, I have finished the Belinda Jane Doll by Flutterby Patch.  I think she is just darling.  I have packed her up already and sent her off to Arizona for my niece's birthday this weekend.

I learned so much making this doll.

I paid for the pattern, because the dolls on the Flutterby Patch site are just wonderful.  And the pattern is fine, but it is all knitted flat and then seamed together.

I just could not do that.  So, for the first time, other than adding stitches to socks for size, I altered the pattern, and knit everything in the round.  Head and body were very easy to do.  as were the arms and the leg parts of the shoe/sock/leg pieces.  But I really had to think to change the shoes from flat to in the round..


I did follow the pattern directions for the face.  So often when I try to make a toy the face just never looks right.  Mine is not exactly like the pattern, but I appreciated her advice on how to place the eyes, and mouth.  The nose I did myself.
The skirt is just like the pattern except,..... yes, it is supposed to be knitted flat and I changed it to the round.  That was an easy change.


I could not figure out how to alter the panties pattern from flat to the round, so I just made up my own.


And, once I had mastered the panties, I just made up my own top for her.
I still need to make her a cardigan (which I will make in purple like the bottom stripe on the skirt).  This, too, is supposed to be knit flat with a raglan sleeve.  But I was looking at the pieces, and I think I can figure out how to knit it in the round also, and STEEK!   I have never tried steeking, but Jasmine, of the KnitMoreGirls says it is easy, so I'm going to try it.

The hair was a tough one.  The directions for this were not very clear, and there were a few photos, but not enough for me.  I think I figured out a reasonable method, and I think the hair came out pretty nice.

I packed her in a box with Coco the Cat.

I decided that I didn't like the way Coco's dress fit, so I made her another one.

Then I mailed them both off.


Where in the World is f1bercat?

I had energy this morning, so I knitted 6 miles, and walked another .52.


I've stopped just South of Portland.


View Larger Map


The walking went really well today.  I am starting to be cautiously optimistic about getting in good enough shape to go to New Zealand with Moogie.

Stay safe and well.

Yours,
f1bercat
shaping the planet with the beginning of my own "designing."









1 comment:

  1. Really fabulous! I love these knitted toys! That would be a fun kit club... Thanks for sharing your projects and all the info on the changes you've made.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete